Monday, March 26, 2007

Just around the river bend

I spent this entire weekend for the most part at the mountain of stone trying to get some nice water pictures. Everyone keeps saying water shots, but for this blog it will be water photos. We did all sorts of hiking and exploring.
Saturday, mostly we explored the step dads home place which was near garden creek. We took the road up through the woods and ventured off the path only to find some very interesting things. Things like an old spring, rusted old car remains and an old barrel with a whole on the side. The step-dad says this was probably a birdhouse.
His home place was torn down by the state when they took over the park, but there are still some cool stuff up there. The whole where the basement was is full of stagnant water..yum.
The step dad doesn't go up there anymore to show us stuff, so mom and i explored on our own. I took a bunch of pictures to ask him about later.
We had so much fun exploring. I like safe, danger-free curiosity.
I also visited widows falls. It was pretty, and luckily not many people were there. I learned later that a road goes around to the top, so a pansy like me doesnt have to hike up. Im gonna look for that next time.
There was a slightly drunken man hiking around the waterfall. He may not have been drunk, but he talked and acted like he was. Why would you get drunk and climb a mountain thats actually called "widow's falls"? thats crazy.
I didn't get to bingo, though, like I had thought. I was so pooped! I definitely would not be fun to bingo against. I was tired and slightly irritable.
Sunday, we hiked to the top of the falls, from the picnic shelter.
I'm afraid of heights, and I was super scared for about ten minutes up at the top most of the falls. then, the observation deck was even more frightening, but I braved it. Hopefully I got some awesome pictures. It is pretty up there, but I was scared.
I keep wondering where the creek comes from to fall over the rock. That'll take some more investigations, Im afraid.

No comments: